Blog » Crispy Oysters at The Carolina Inn
The fall season is the time of year to enjoy fresh oysters. Executive Chef James Clark of The Carolina Inn’s Carolina Crossroads Restaurant teaches you how to create one of his favorite dishes, Crispy Oysters. These flavorful breaded and fried oysters are served with country ham and leak reduction topped with an artichoke relish. These delicious oysters are irresistible, so be sure to make plenty for sharing and definitely seconds for all.
Enjoy Executive Chef James Clark’s Recipe Thyme video about this dish...
Country Ham Leek Reduction
½ cup country ham, diced
½ cup leeks, diced
1 tsp. garlic
1 T. olive oil
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup heavy cream
2 T. pernod
16 Shucked oysters, save the liquor and bottom shells
1 cup AP flour
1 cup fine corn meal
2 Tbs. Old Bay seasoning
Enough peanut oil to fry oysters at 365°
1. Mix dry ingredients together. Toss in oysters and coat well.
2. Place each oyster in the hot oil and fry about 30 seconds, until crisp.
3. Place a small spoonful of the reduction on the shell.
4. Top each shell with a crispy oyster immediately from the oil.
5. Finish with a dab of Sunchoke relish!